When it comes to connected wireless technologies, customers now have a plethora of options, ranging from Wi-Fi, Z-Wave, Bluetooth Mesh to Zigbee. While the market is currently being dominated by protocols like Z-Wave and Wi-Fi; Zigbee is all poised to take the fight to the next level with Zigbee Alliance.
Devices like Amazon Echo Plus, Samsung Hue, Honeywell Thermostats efficiently use the Zigbee protocol to synchronize. Also, Google Home can be well integrated with it when a device like Zigbee Hub is used.
Why Zigbee is the best for Smart Homes?
This is when the benefits of using Zigbee as a platform in Home Automation reflects; Zigbee’s most prominent application is in home automation. It allows it to collect information and synchronize it with the devices. It also supports devices such as switches, lights, door locks, fans, air conditioners, smoke detectors, appliances, and so on.
Zigbee possesses a standard, that is exclusively designed for control and sensory networks to monitor and control devices.
Zigbee Alliance, one of the pioneers in this evolving technology, is making consumers’ life simpler and better. Here’s how:
- Security: Control devices the way you feel like!
- Comfort: You may be away from your home, but Zigbee won’t!
- Convenience: Every task will be completed within a click of a button!
It is also one of the most broadly used applications in the domain of IoT. It is an Open-Source Network developed by Zigbee Alliance.
Every smart home’s goal is to reduce the human effort by automating mundane tasks at the click of a button.
Zigbee’s 4 Key Benefits
- Low Power Protocol – Sensors that control lights, play a crucial role in executing the entire outlay of a Wireless Home Automation System (WHAS) from beginning to end. To use this particular feature, the Zigbee standard proves itself the best because it requires both low power and energy. This way, the controls run smoothly with a quicker access facility.
- Scalable up to 200 devices – Multiple home devices can be operated with Zigbee’s help, as per the sensory needs. It supports small as well as large networks that can easily connect up to 240 devices. The information to operate the devices is transmitted via its module to the receiver. Based on this information, relays are controlled to operate the devices.
- Controls a wide range of devices (cross-platform) – Zigbee can be integrated as a single portable unit that allows all appliances in the home. For instance, fans, switches, televisions, air-conditioners, electronic doors, audio/visual equipment’s, etc.; which are conveniently plugged into a wall outlet.
- Robust Data Encryption & Security – In home automation, Zigbee leverages the security benchmark of the IEEE 802.15.4 MAC sub-layer. It mentions the security services like, access control for devices; in order to maintain a list of reliable devices with particular network and data encryption.
In A Nutshell – Why is Zigbee Surely Your Next Pick?
- Economical: It entails a low cost of products and incurs cheap implementation.
- Faster: Its network joining time is equivalent to 30 milliseconds; which is much faster than Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- Battery-life: It consumes low power on devices that typically are capable of working for over a year on a single battery. Most of these application devices spend a considerable amount of time in a power-saving mode.
What do you think? Let us know your thoughts on Zigbee as the backbone technology for your smart home.